MARTIN PRINGLE, Jr.



February 11th, 1862

Company G, 12th Regulars, USA

Fort Hamilton, Brooklyn, New York

Martin Pringle, Jr. to Philip W. Pringle


Dear Brother,

Your letter found me well and more than usually glad

to hear from you. First, I must tell you I am getting

along just fine doing my patriotic duty for the stars

and stripes and training for battle. But the weather

is very rough here - wet and raining and the ground is

covered with ice. Second, I am enjoying good health

although I am run out of money, but we will get paid

next week and then I shall have some again. Philip, I

wish you could see into our room at meal time. It

would make you laugh to see all them six-footers

grabbing for food. What a sight! Write soon. How is

the weather there? I remain your affectionate

brother, Martin. Kiss little Luella for me.

p.s. Please excuse all mistakes and bad spelling.









MARTIN



We have some splendid times here! Last Saturday G

and E company had a great fight. None of our boys were

hurt but some of the other company was almost killed.

A few of our boys are in the guardhouse handcuffed. It

happened that I was on guard and so I was not in the

scrap but I keep out of such. Philip, I have yet to

take my first drink in the state of New York and

intend to remain so although there are many

enticements to drink and play cards from which I

refrain. Now I want you to write to me and tell me all

the news and about the weather.