MARY



November 14th, 1859

Curlsville, Pennsylvania


Mary Mae Luke to Philip W. Pringle


Dear Philip,


It is with pleasure that I take up my pen this

evening to answer your kind letter, which I received

on the tenth and learned from its contents that you are

well. I am getting along well at the present time and

I hope these few lines will find you in the same state

of health. Oh, Philip, nothing can tell how much I

think of you. You are never out of my mind ten minutes

through the day nor night. Only when I am sleeping.

If you but knew how I love you. Oh, that I had the

privilege of leaning my head on your dear arms once

more it would be my heart’s delight. I cannot write as

I would like to but if my heart could speak or write I

think this would be a much better letter. I dreamed of

you last night. I am truly yours,


Mary M. Luke




PHILIP



January 23rd, 1860


Dear Mary,

It is with the greatest of pleasure that I have taken

my pen in hand to let you know I got home Friday night

safe and sound. I feel to rejoice to hear that you

are well and still remain mine in the bonds of love.

Mary, you wanted to know if I told anyone we are to be

married. I told everyone. When I got home every person

wished me happiness. I thanked them all. Mary, I am at

a loss how to write or how to express myself. But my

love to you shall never fail.

I remain yours truly, Philip W. Pringle

MARY


Oh Dear, I would not have set that date for our

marriage if I had known that another one would have

suited you better. As far as it being good luck in the

light of the moon, I never heard that before. Philip,

please tell me where we are going to live, if you

know. Oh, I don't know what is the matter with me. I

feel so anxious.



PHILIP



Mary, please do not worry. I will be up there on the

11th in good time to see you and talk with you and

plan the day. It’s with you I mean to spend my days on

earth. I will be by your constant companion, shielding

you as best I can from the storms of life.



MARY



Oh, Philip, I feel like I don’t have a care in the

world. Together we will dwell in peace and harmony and

joy. Nothing can interfere with the pleasure and

happiness I feel today.