PHILIP



May 12th

It is hot here in Virginia. Our boat landed at Belle

Plain. Mary, it was the first time I was on a

steamboat to take a ride. We drew 5 days rations and

60 rounds of cartridges and are marching towards

Fredericksburg. There was a hard battle fought today.

We could hear the roar of cannons all day.


May 15th

We are in the front line of battle behind our rifle

pits and we are ready to move at a moment’s notice on

the enemy. We are about 2 miles from Spotsylvania

Court House. I am sending this by a wounded soldier.


PHILIP (con’t)



May 19th


Camp near the front, Spotsylvania


Dear Wife,

I am alive yet for which I am thankful to God for his

kindness to me. We was in a battle on the 18th and was

shelled like forty. The shot and shell came almost as

thick as a blinding snowstorm. There was some of the

hardest of fighting done that ever was fought and our

army is victorious. We took about 1,000 prisoners and

have Lee surrounded and will no doubt capture him and

his army. Mary, I am well and in good spirits. We may

have a battle at any moment. Brother Martin was

wounded the 5th of this month in the left shoulder by

a minnie ball and the last I heard from him he was in

the hospital and doing well. But Dan Luke is missing

since the first battle and suppose he is killed.

Please write soon and I will write when I can, and

will write more if I am alive or am spared.



PHILIP




June 5th, 1864


Cold Harbor, Virginia


Mary, we are in a dangerous place. We made a charge

up on the Rebel rifle pits and went through an awful

shower of bullets. We have been under continual fire

for four days. The bullets flew thick as hail. The

ground was covered with dead and a great many wounded.

One was shot in the neck and fell on me and made me

all bloody. Some of the balls came very close to me

and threw sand in my face and eyes. Shells burst so

close they made me almost deaf. At present the

bullets are flying thick and fast.


Now Mary, don’t fret.

God only knows if I will ever come home again. If

I fall do not mourn for me. Pray that we may meet

again - if not in this world we may meet in Heaven.


P. S. Please let me know about Martin and Daniel if

you hear of them.


PHILIP



June 19th

Dear Wife, I am well and in the forest of Petersburg,

Virginia. We can see Petersburg plain. Our men are

throwing shells into the town every 15 minutes day and

night. Mary, we had a hard march. We traveled day and

night and got no sleep for 36 hours at a time. We

crossed the James River on pontoons below City Point.

There was 104 pontoons. I counted them.

Mary, we was in another hard battle yesterday. Oh,

but the bullets flew thick and the cannons roared. We

had to hug the ground very close to keep from getting

hit. I do not know how we did escape as we did. It

was a miracle. In the evening we buried the dead

under a flag of truce.

Dear wife, I mourn terribly for my brother.